Sunday, September 6, 2009

Devil's food for devilish dads


Father's Day involved a big middle eastern themed banquet in our back yard, followed by a most un-middle eastern dessert.

I've been ogling Magnolia Bakery's Devil's Food Cake with Seven Minute Icing for ages, and today seemed like the perfect time to give the recipe a shot.

The baking of the cake was fairly run of the mill, a classic chocolate cake recipe in three layers. The Seven Minute Icing, however, was absolutely chaotic and culminated with half my hair being plastered to my face by meringue, this stuff was unbelievably sticky.


Seven Minute Icing is a bit different from traditional butter icing because you need to beat all the ingredients over a double boiler for - you guessed it - seven minutes, and then another minute off the heat:
  • 3 egg whites
  • 2 1/4 cups of sugar
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of light corn syrup
  • 1/8 teaspoon of salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
I really like this technique of 'cooking' egg whites, I also used it recently to make Gordon Ramsay's Chocolate Marquise.


In the end it was worth the mess and the second shower I was forced to have once the layers were put together and the icing was safely on the cake!

Rich dark chocolate cake filled and topped with squishy marshmallow is a winner. Even the 'I don't like sweets, I prefer cheese' Dad had two slices. I'll be baking this baby again.

1 comment: