Friday, October 16, 2009

Marley's Super Awesome Cookie Recipe

I'm part of an organisation called Side By Side Advocacy, which is participating the the Granny Smith Festival this weekend, and as such I am in the middle of a massive cookie baking mission to feed hungry festival goers. Because let's face it, if anything can lure in the crowds it's chocolate, almond and cinnamon cookies.

My friend Marley shared with me her super awesome no fail cookie recipe a few years ago and since then I've done a million variations, all of which have been amazing. Because I'm nice I'll share the love...

Marley's Super Awesome Cookies

125g unsalted butter
250g brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
225g plan flour
1 tsp baking powder
200g 'flavour' ingredients - eg. 100g chopped dark chocolate + 100g almonds + 1tsp cinnamon. I've also done white chocolate and macadamia, dark chocolate and dried cherries. Get creative!

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celcius. Make sure your butter is room temperature, and then mix butter and brown sugar together well. Add your egg and mix mix mix. Add vanilla, and then the flour and baking powder and mix it in thoroughly. Finally, add your flavours and mix then in very well.

Line a baking tray with baking paper and then use a teaspoon to make little balls of mixture, roll them in your palm until they are very round, and then place them on the tray with space between them. As a guide I do 12 per full size oven tray.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Less time means squishy centred biscuits. More time means harder biscuits. When they come out of the oven they will be squidgy so let them cool on the tray and they will firm up as they cool.

Then consume.

(Or you could just nibble on the raw cookie dough!)

5 comments:

  1. If you have an interest in selling cookies or cookie dough for a fundraiser there is a website called Easy Fundraising Ideas that has about 10 different Cookie Dough Fundraising programs and they don't cost anything to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. does marley know you shared her recipe! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I just found this! I forget to check your blog, Emmie - you have to remind me! It's really lovely. What you forgot to mention in my recipe is that WHOLEMEAL plain flour is the key! Remember we had an email argument about some time ago, which you then shared with your colleague and he had hysterics? XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - I still prefer plain plain flour! My conclusion is that plain plain flour has to be cooked less to ensure that they're sticky cookies, and the cookies are flatter and perfectly circular. Wholemeal you get a 'fuller' cookie and with a different kind of squish. Both delicious (the wholemeal with banana cookies you made were possibly my favourite ever!)

    ReplyDelete