Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Our Big Kitchen

One of the many perks of working for a not for profit organisation is receiving hundreds of emails each week from and about other not for profit organisations.

Today I heard about Our Big Kitchen which is a community kitchen operating in Bondi. Individuals or groups cook or bake food to donate to emergency or homeless services and also share a meal. It's a registered kitchen for emergency food providers and stock is kept on hand to ensure responsiveness to emergencies. It's available to everyone - you can have birthday parties, cooking classes, team building or school programs in the kitchen, or you can participate as a volunteer.

This is just about the coolest thing I've ever heard of.

R and I have been discussing my aversion to having a hen's night. I cannot think of anything worse than parading around with a plastic penis attached to my head. In fact I would rather eat my own foot. Lately we have been discussing having an alternative pre wedding celebration and the thought of getting all our friends together for a big cookathon is just lovely, especially given that the proceeds go towards assisting people in times of crisis. At face value weddings are about celebrating 'happy', and less obviously about sticking together when life conspires against you. And this can happen to any of us.

Good idea or am I just a shameless dirty hippy?

2 comments:

  1. What you are not: shameless, dirty or a hippy
    What you are: an amazingly creative, thoughful and positive influcence on this world.

    Good on you for not being tacky - see my blog re this: http://genyelle.blogspot.com/2009/10/when-tacky-just-doesnt-say-it-all.html

    I think it's an awesome idea and sounds like lots of fun - it's something I am sure your classy girlfriends and R's very demure man friends will enjoy too. You could even make it competitive - boys v girls or something like that.

    ps. Did you see Jamie Oliver cooking for the homeless last night - so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. tiny plastic penis' at hens nights are so over :-)

    ReplyDelete