Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Cooking: Little Chocolate Gingerbread Cakes

Lately I've been baking largely from my Magnolia Bakery cookbook so I felt like changing direction for Christmas and baking something a little more grown up, which led me straight to Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. I love Martha. It's a bit sick.

These cakes are packed full of spices and flavour - molasses, freshly grated nutmeg, ground ginger, fresh ginger, cinnamon and ground cloves. When they came out of the oven the house smelled like Christmas. They should have been nice and flat on the top so that I could turn them upside down just like Martha did.


Unfortunately they rose. Some of them a LOT.


So I had to take a deep breath and acknowledge that they would not be as sophisticated as Martha's. Instead they look like cupcakes, which they are (clever Martha disguised hers!)


They are delicious delicious delicious all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment