Thursday, January 28, 2010

Raspberry Marshmallow Rainbow Girl Cake

One of our colleagues was finishing up work today and true to form when afternoon tea was discussed I offered to bring a cake. Originally I had planned to make a banana cake with chocolate cream cheese icing. Oh, said M, what's the other option?

I took the hint and tried to come up with something a bit more glamorous. There are many many rainbow cakes on the internet to take inspiration from, however I decided to keep mine in appropriately 'girly' hues.

I made an enormous quantity of vanilla cake using a Magnolia recipe, split the mixture into three parts and then coloured with yellow, rose pink and pillar box red.

The trick with layered cakes is to make the layers the night before you intend to split and fill them. Try to split a super fresh cake and you will end up with moosh. After refrigerating the layers overnight I was able to successfully split them, and then fill and stack them. The filling is Haigh's raspberry dessert sauce and a little teeny bit of marshmallow icing*. The dessert sauce was great, keeping the cakes very moist and well flavoured.

And of course it's marshmallow icing on top.

This kind of cake is not for the faint hearted. Including the icing it contains a whopping 6 cups of sugar, and it tastes like it!

* Which is also known as Seven Minute Frosting, but everyone who eats the stuff refers to it as 'that marshmallow icing'

6 comments:

  1. LAYER CAKES [INVOLVING FOOD COLOURING AND COPIOUS FROSTING] RULE XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely true! Next time I am thinking custard layers... I mixed some Bird's Custard Powder in with the flour to give the vanilla a bit more oomph, and it's put custard on my brain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you do a post on what kitchen equipment you have?

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. M says the cake was magnifique :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot damn that looks like every dessert fantasy I've ever had. YUM YUM YUM

    ReplyDelete