Saturday, March 27, 2010

Daring Baker's Challenge: Orange Tian

Caramel and orange. So French. So chic. (I'm sure that's some kind of advertising catch-phrase that I'm parroting but hey, why not.)

This was a good challenge mainly because I developed some new kitchen skills. I have had a fear of making caramel for a long time, and I've never made a jam or marmalade before, so to succeed in both made me happy.

The base of the tian is a pate sable. I gave myself a mental pat on the back for freezing the leftover cinnamon almond pate sable I made for the Zumbo chocolate mousse cake.

Oranges have to be segmented and covered in an orange caramel sauce.

And then you make some marmalade. Pectin was my friend.
I haven't got any photos of the assembly of the dessert because it was too dark but the tian is assembled upside down with the oranges arranged prettily at the bottom, a cream mixture in the middle, and a circle of pate sable spread with marmalade on top.

Let them set and turn them out.

And then finish with a drizzle of caramel.

The 2010 March Daring Baker's challenge was hosted by Jennifer of Chocolate Shavings. She chose Orange Tian as the challenge for this month, a dessert based on a recipe from Alain Ducasse's Cooking School in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment