Friday, March 12, 2010

High Tea at the Art Gallery of NSW

Unfortunately, trying to eat healthily is very incompatible with food blogging. The more health conscious cooking regime means that sweets can be cooked or consumed in the following circumstances:

(a) if they are a gift for someone else, and therefore cannot be eaten by me
(b) for birthday, Christmas, Easter and other 'special occasions'
(c) if I'm out at a restaurant
(d) if friends come over to visit

Luckily for me last week there were two birthdays in my family, culminating in a visit to the Art Gallery of NSW for high tea. I loved the selection of food, and the coffee was fantastic.

The top tier was a sandwich selection - chicken waldorf and grilled vegetable and ricotta. No cucumber sandwiches in sight which was great because frankly the combination of cucumber and butter in enough to make me projective vomit.

The second tier was bruschetta, which I didn't try due to an overload of raw Spanish onion which gives me heartburn. I sound like a whinger today. I did eat many of the duck dumplings though, which had a perfect hint of lemongrass and a great dipping sauce.

The bottom tier was of course the highlight of my eating experience. Scones are of course a classic high tea choice, and in my eyes always a winner. Especially when they are served with raspberry jam and beautiful slightly whipped cream with flecks of vanilla through it.

The coconut, mango and raspberry cake (it had a much prettier sounding name but I can't remember it so I'll just call it how it is!) was fine, with a very moist coconut base and an airy kind of mango custardy mousse middle. The mousse part felt like it might dissolve in my mouth, but not in a good way, like a bad marshmallow. Definitely not a favourite.

Redemption came in the form of the passionfruit tart with chocolate meringue topping.

The passionfruit curd was great, and the meringue topping was like a better version of 7 minute frosting. Winner.

I'm glad the trend for high tea is back, it's like the olde English version of yum cha.

No comments:

Post a Comment