At Christmas time Yiayia gave me some money to spend on a gift for myself and I thought it was appropriate to buy George Colombaris' 'Greek Cookery from the Helenic Heart'. It's a fantastic book with so many familiar recipes, even some that my Yiayia hasn't cooked in many years. And of course it has a recipe for kourambiethes.
Makes approximately 24 biscuits
340 g unsalted butter at room temperature
110 g icing sugar
340 g plain flour
1 cup toasted slivered almonds
1 vanilla pod halved and scraped
Extra plain flour for dusting
Extra icing sugar for dusting
1 tsp salt
- Beat butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add plain flour, salt, almonds and vanilla scrapings and stir with a spoon until just combined.
- Knead mixture on a floured bench until a soft dough forms, without being sticky.
- Divide dough into 50g portions and roll into crescent shapes.
- Space out on a lightly greased baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 165 C for 10 minutes, turn the tray and bake for a further 10 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Dust a sheet of baking paper with icing sugar. while the biscuits are still warm (not hot) place the biscuits on the paper and dust with icing until completely covered. Allow to cool.