Thursday, April 8, 2010

Oh Martha you are good to me

A few months ago I started reading The Food Librarian's blog and I think I've caught her obsession with bundt cakes. She did a whole month of bundt baking with the catch phrase 'I like big bundts' and I think I read every entry sighing over the beautiful array of bundt tins she has.

Rahul gave me a bundt tin as a wedding present (is that romance or what?!) and after filling it up with water to determine it's cup size (sounds like breasts, no?) I found that it is a 10-12 cup bund tin. Martha suggested making a Pear Spice Bundt Cake and because she never lets me down I did. The cake was a gift for friends so I have no personal account of it's taste, but I can tell you that when I licked the bowl the raw batter was mighty fine, as was the smell throughout the house as it baked.

Martha Stewart's Pear Spice Bundt Cake

Ingredients

1/2 cup of sugar
5 pears peeled, cored and choppped into chunks
230g unsalted butter at room temperature
3 cups plain flour
2tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 and 3/4 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
4 large eggs
1/2 cup of milk

Method

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celcius and butter and flour a 10-12 cup bundt pan.

In a saucepan spread the sugar evenly and cook over medium to high heat without stirring until it bubbles at the edges and begins to melt and turn golden, about 3-4 minutes. Stir slowly until all sugar has melted and the mixture is translucent and golden.

Add the pear chunks to the caramel and stir to coat, cook covered for about 8 minutes stirring occasionally. Using a potato masher mash the pears until they are broken down, then cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the pears cool completely.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices together in a medium bowl.

Cream the butter and brown sugar, then add the eggs one by one. Slowly add the flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the milk. Add the pear mixture and mix to combine. Be careful not to over mix.

Bake until the cake is a deep golden brown and the cake tester comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.

You can dust the cake with icing sugar to serve, or make a glaze as I did with 2tbsp milk mixed with 1 cup of icing sugar and a splash of caramel flavouring.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME looking bundt. I'm so happy you caught Bundt fever too! :) What a wonderful wedding gift too...I think everyone should get one! - mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, awesome is an excellent compliment coming from a bundt expert!!

    ReplyDelete