Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pear and Treacle Upside Down Cake

I have to stop buying pears. Every time we go to the market I admire how they're looking and then convince myself that we really will eat them for morning tea. A week later and I'm faced with an empty fruit bowl bar the pears. Pear cake is the answer. Especially upside-down pear cake. The treacle in this recipe made everybody who tried it ask if it was a type of gingerbread, but ginger haters will be glad to know that there is in fact no ginger in the cake.

Pear and Treacle Upside-Down Cake


Ingredients

2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
250g melted butter
2-3 pears cut into thick slices
1 cup treacle
2 eggs
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, sifted
2 cups plain flour, sifted
1/2 cup almond meal
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
200ml buttermilk

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced.
  2. Lightly grease and line either a deep 23cm square cake tins, or two 7” round cake tins. I used two tins so that we could eat one cake and gift the other!
  3. Mix together half a cup of brown sugar and a third of a cup of the melted butter and spread over the base of the pan/s. Lay the pear slices over the top of the mixture.
  4. Place the remaining butter in a large bowl and mix in treacle, eggs, soda, flour almond meal, cinnamon and remaining sugar, and then mix through the buttermilk. Pour batter over pears. Bake for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes (for the single square tin) or 1 hour (for the two round tins) or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. It never hurts to test!
  5. Cool in the tin for ten minutes before turning out onto a plate. The cake was lovely eaten warm with ice cream or cold later on. And you can bung a piece in the microwave for the next few days and have it like a hot pudding.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, can you make it for me?
    Our household goes though 7 pears per week. Every morning for breakfast: pears with yoghurt & museli - the breakfast of champions, you should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, that was my Rushcutters Bay breakfast exactly. My Lilyfield breakfast has turned out to be 5 grain porridge with yogurt and stewed fruit.
    Place orders for my Perth trip. All my luggage could be cakes you know xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have slowly developed an appreciation for pears as a dessert as oppose to fruit to eat on their own. I recently made a pear and chocolate pudding and was very happy with it. This upside down pear and treacle cake really appeals to me. The fact that it also uses treacle instead of sugar means I won't need to visit dentist after I eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the taste of treacle, it's so different to sugar. Pears and chocolate is a fantastic combination. Jamie Oliver has a lovely recipe for a chocolate, pear and almond tart on his website that I made last year.

    ReplyDelete