Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tsoureki french toast with figs and cinnamon yoghurt


The perfect Easter Monday indulgent breakfast. Tsoureki is essentially a Greek brioche which tends to be made at Easter time (although nothing prohibits Tsoureki bliss happening throughout the year.) This year Greek Orthodox Easter fell on the same weekend as regular run of the mill Christian Easter, and with Greek Easter comes an enormous lunch after which you leave my grandmother's house laden with leftovers and your loaf of her home baked tsoureki.
Over the years I am learning that you can do a lot with tsoureki. If you're smart you put it in the freezer and bring it out for bread and butter pudding on a cold winter evening when you're in need of the comfort that childhood favourites bring (and the accompanying belly.)

Or you can do what I did and make the woggiest breakfast ever (with the exception of the French toast concept. Which presumably is American not French. Odd.)

Rahul claims that he has loved figs ever since he saw them being eaten like apples in an episode of the Sopranos, my father likes to find a fig seller that he can spiritually connect with, it's safe to say that they are the the woggiest fruit around. Especially if you team them with Greek yoghurt with some cinnamon and brown sugar mixed through it. Top it with a drizzle of maple syrup and you're in business. It really was lovely. I'm going to mourn the end of this year's fig season.

2 comments:

  1. yum! I am going to mourn the end of the fig season too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO good! It's probably a good thing that I'm not a neighbour of yours or I would be inviting myself over to breakfast! :P

    ReplyDelete