Saturday, May 29, 2010

Raspberry and White Chocolate Macarons

We're going to a dinner party tonight so in the spirit of being a real grown up I thought I'd better whip something up to take as a gift for our hosts.

The macaron shell recipe is Tartlette's and I think I've finally got the hang of working with the batter. The whole 'no more than 40 strokes of the spoon' advice, while excellent, had me under mixing out of paranoia when I first attempted macarons a few months ago. So my advice to you is mix just the right amount, not too much, not too little. (Bet that doesn't help at all, it's very vague Yiayia-esque cooking advice!)

The white chocolate and raspberry filling is my own creation. 200g Green and Black's White Chocolate*, 70ml pouring cream and half a punnet of pureed raspberries. Pulverise the chocolate in a food processor and put it in a bowl, bring cream to the boil in a saucepan and then pour into the chocolate, whisking. Whisk in raspberry puree and then leave to cool to room temperature, whisking every fifteen minutes or so. Fill macarons. Eat.

* Organic AND Fair Trade, which after watching Paul Kenyon's documentary Chocolate: The Bitter Truth is the only kind of chocolate to buy and cook with. If you use chocolate at all (I briefly attempted a chocolate free household but quickly learned that this may well be the quickest pathway to divorce when your husband's a chocoholic.) Lately we've been shopping at Eveleigh Markets where all stallholders must be the producers of whatever they're selling, eliminating the possibility of imported produce being the product of child labour and human trafficking. But we can't make or grow everything in this climate.

2 comments: