Monday, May 3, 2010

Sonoma Artisan Sourdough Bakery

I love Sonoma bread, it's earthy and delicious. Thankfully it's available fresh at both Eveleigh Markets and Orange Grove Markets, our two local haunts. I've been reading about the bakery cafe at Waterloo for some time now but never really connected the actual location with any other desirable destinations. On the weekend we were on the hunt for some wardrobe door handles (don't get me started) and found ourself in Danks Street, Waterloo, which seems to get nicer every time I venture over there. And now, after realising that Sonoma was across the street from my doorknob destination, I consider it even nicer still.

Historically I have been a bit dubious about 'bakery/cafe's' possibly going back to the days when I worked in one and dished out many dried out pies and quiches from an ageing pie warmer. And sometimes we had cheese'n'bacon scrolls on offer. Elegant.

At Sonoma there are no wrinkled pies in sight, just cabinets of delicious looking sandwiches. Chicken and tarragon is a winning combination, and this sandwich was no exception.

The coffee was good too.

We also had an eggplant, tomato and mozzarella sandwich. Eggplant can be a bit risky, often brine-y and chewy, but this was lovely and soft. The cheese was thinly sliced so as not to be overpowering.

Sonoma is definitely worth a visit. Especially if your soul needs soothing after staring at door furniture!

2 comments:

  1. This place is on my to-do list. I agree with about eggplant. It can be hit or miss. That sandwich looks like a hit. squeee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sonoma bread too! It's so lovely and spongey inside but nice and crusty on the outside. And lol I feel your pain re door handles. I wanted to buy some but never seem to find really nice ones! :(

    ReplyDelete