Sunday, June 27, 2010

Daring Baker's Challenge: Chocolate Pavlovas with Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse

I've always wanted to make a chocolate pavlova so this month's Daring Baker's Challenge was music to my ears. The recipe called for chocolate meringues topped with a mascarpone chocolate mousse and finished with a creme anglaise sauce, however I vetoed the sauce and instead opted to top my pavlovas with some fresh raspberries. Half the joy of a pavlova is the contrast between the sweet meringe, rich cream and tart fruit to finish it off so a fruitless pavlova was unthinkable.

The recipe also instructed baking the meringues until they were dried out and crumbly which to an Australian is a complete pavlova sin! So mine were crunchy on the outside and chewy in the middle. The chewiness was a surprise, I expected a soft marshmallow texture but I think the addition of cocoa to the batter threw a spanner in the works.

Still, delicious all the same. I loved the end result and I'd definitely make chocolate pavlovas again. The recipe for the chocolate mascarpone mousse was particularly good and is available now on the Daring Kitchen website.

The June 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Dawn of Doable and Delicious. Dawn challenged the Daring Bakers’ to make Chocolate Pavlovas and Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse. The challenge recipe is based on a recipe from the book Chocolate Epiphany by Francois Payard

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about pavlova-it just has to have fruit! I love those contrasts :P And adding raspberries is just the perfect touch for a chocolate pavlova! :D

    ReplyDelete