Friday, August 6, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies

I know, unless you've spent some serious time in America you're wondering what on earth these things are. I can tell you that they are also known as 'gobs', 'black and whites' and 'BFO's (Big Fat Oreos!) And according to food historians, Amish women would bake these (known as hucklebucks at the time) and put them in farmers' lunch boxes. Upon discovering their lunch treats the farmers would shout 'Whoopie!'

In essence Whoopie Pies are two chocolate flavoured cookie shaped cakes stuck together with a creamy marshmallow filling. Over time the flavours have evolved to include such exotic combinations as banana whoopie with matcha buttercream and vanilla whoopie with root beer marshmallow filling.

For my first foray into making Whoopie Pies I decided to use a tried and true flavour combination - chocolate and peanut butter. I recently bought Sarah Billingsley and Amy Treadwell's book 'Whoopie Pies' which is devoted to providing an enormous variety of cake and filling recipes and encourages serious mixing and matching. The book is completely adorable, and that's not a word I'd usually use to describe a book I can assure you.

Look at the perfect peanut butter filling!

And look at Rahul enjoying the satisfaction of squidging the Whoopie Pies together! The whole exercise was really fun.

Next time I'm going to attempt a pistachio cardamom whoopie with rose filling. Or perhaps a peanut butter whoopie with banana buttercream. Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. I feel revolted with myself for saying this, but these look like my kind of food :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh chocolate and peanut butter-a lovely combination! I was just reading your list of food related things to do before 30 and it's a great list! :)

    ReplyDelete